UN-Habitat’s work on localizing the SDGs is guided by a partnership-based approach anchored in the principles of leaving no one and no place behind, multilevel governance, multi-stakeholder collaboration and development effectiveness.
Supporting local and national governments and relevant stakeholders to advance SDG localization with its unique technical expertise and operational capacities across the globe
Enabling meaningful connections, coordination and innovative partnerships with and between key stakeholders: local, regional and national governments, local governments’ association, international organizations, UN Agencies, academia, civil society, business etc.
Research & knowledge development
Developing cutting-edge research, guidance and knowledge on all dimensions of SDG Localization, including multilevel governance
Learning & capacity building
Strengthening the capacities of local and national governments through of trainings, learning material and tools on SDG localization
Advocacy & visibility
Bringing SDG Localization and local action at the center of high-level events and UN-led processes, while creating opportunities for peer-to-peer learning and exchange
SDG partnerships and cooperation
Facilitating development cooperation schemes between partners from around the globe on the SDGs (city-to-city partnerships; twinning; country-to-country cooperation)
UN-Habitat has developed the most comprehensive approach to localize the SDGs available in the UN system, providing assistance throughout all stages of planning, policymaking, project development and monitoring. This is anchored around five main components:
- Global Urban Monitoring Framework: the UN-wide framework of indicators to track the urban dimension of the SDGs.
- Voluntary Local Reviews: assisting to develop action-oriented VLRs through technical expertise, training, peer-learning and global visibility.
- SDG Cities Flagship Programme: implement long-term and comprehensive development process linking all dimensions of SDG localization – from data, to planning and project development, to financing.
- Multilevel Governance: strengthen coordination and alignment across spheres of government for an effective localization process.
- Local 2030 Coalition: the Local2030 Coalition is the UN System-wide platform and network for supporting and accelerating the localization of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.